You are here:: General Info Brief history of the school

Brief history of the school

Edgemead Primary school began operating in January 1979.  Originally the school was accommodated in a group of houses situated in Lombard Way.

The school, accommodating  sub A, sub B and standard 1 pupils, had an enrolment of 98 pupils.  The founder principal was Mrs Maria Lerm.

In January 1980 Edgemead Preparatory School officially became known as Edgemead Primary School as it now accommodated standard 2 pupils. Mr Michael King was appointed principal. Mr King served the school until his retirement at the end of 1996. Mr Fred van Vuuren was then appointed principal. Mr van Vuuren then retired in 2015 followed by the appointment of the now present principal Mr Gregary Stokell.

By 1982 the "school in the houses" could no longer accommodate the burgeoning enrolment and January 1983 saw the occupation of the present school buildings. Over the years the school's facilities have been extensively expanded. We now have a large enrolment of some 1256 pupils who enjoy excellent, modern facilities.